Teens create a Cooler Future
CONNECT WITH THE FUTURE
MASHING IT UP
Everything becomes a resource – from cigarette butts to cling wrap. How will they stage and promote their trashion parades? What messages and ideas will be communicated with the set, lighting, program and posters, soundscape and trashion couture?
PHASE 1 2018
proof of concept
- We started small in 2018, working with two schools to test the project, analyse the impacts, and consult with our inspiring teachers, mentors and partners. Attracting over $100,000 in support, we are excited to continue the journey in 2019.
- By making the project a competition, we attract aspirational teachers and students keen to make their mark. The pilot schools compete to win the Best Messaging, Most Resourceful and Best Trashion awards.
- The huge potential for new careers opening up as Australia develops a circular economy is illustrated by the inspirational artists and designers who visit our schools.
- Using YouTube to share their trashion parades on social media, our Trashionistas take their message to a potentially world wide audience.
- We create a documentary film record of the student’s journey along with interviews with inspirational mentors, teachers and students, resulting in a short documentary film and webisodes for the Waste Not website
PHASE 11 2019 - 22
In January 2019 the Hawkesbury Regional Art Gallery mounts an exhibition of Nepean CAPA high schools’ winning trashion couture.
March 2019 Mash It Up! begins to work with the Australian Fashion Council and inspirational local brands committed to sustainability.
July 2020 Mash It Up! engages with the international talent agency IMG to create an installation showcasing our trashionistas at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia May 2020!
In 2020 we introduce an internship and work experience model to the project, connecting students to businesses and creative enterprises flourishing in the circular economy.
In 2021 we create the Mash It Up! Green Kitchen for WASTE NOT – inviting aspiring high school chefs and stylists to create a planet friendly cooking segment showcasing Performance Boosting Snacks, Mum’s Night Off, Mates For Pizza, and Impress Your Date menus using Waste Not principals. Load it to YouTube and your high school team could reach the finals at the Youth Eco Summit 2022!